AUTOMATED TELEPHONE BOOKING SYSTEM
Here at the surgery, we understand how frustrated patients get when they simply want to book, check, cancel or change a routine appointment over the telephone, but they have to wait for their call to be answered, if there are a number of other callers ahead of them in the telephone call queue (The Surgery Telephone System page on our website gives more of an explanation as to how our telephone system works).
We have therefore invested in an ‘automated telephone appointment booking system’ that allows patients to book, check, cancel and change ‘routine’ appointments with a Doctor, using your telephone keypad, eliminating the need to wait in the telephone call queue to speak to a member of staff (if you’re not sure if the reason you are making an appointment for is considered ‘routine’, we respectfully request that you do not use this service).*
To allow you to use this system, the surgery MUST have an up-to-date contact telephone number. Please ensure that you have confirmed your telephone number with a member of staff, next time you are in the surgery or speak to someone over the telephone. Alternatively, you can complete either the CHANGE OF ADDRESS form (this also allows you to update any other personal details) or the Communication Consent Form, both available on this website. We would strongly recommend completing the Communication Consent Form to opt-in to our TEXT MESSAGE REMINDERS service – this service allows the surgery to send you free text message reminders of any future appointments you may have and gives you the facility to cancel them by text message, simply by replying with the word ‘cancel’.
We have endeavoured to make the automated telephone appointment booking system as simple as possible – the following instructions should allow you to navigate the system without having to listen to all of the options in their entirety:
- dial the surgery number, 02476 315432, and press option 1 for Appointments.
- You will then be asked if you wish to make an appointment using the automated booking system – to do this, press 1.
- It will then ask you to enter your date of birth followed by the * key. For example, if your date of birth was 1st January 1986, please enter 010186*.
- It will then ask you to enter your telephone number followed by the * key. However, you can simply enter the last six digits of your telephone number, followed by the * key. For example, if your telephone number was 07890 123789, please enter 123789*. This is why it is essential that we have an up-to-date contact telephone number for you, otherwise you will be UNABLE to use this service.
- It will then prompt you as to whether you want to make a new booking, or to check, cancel or change an appointment.
- To make a new booking, press 1 (go to ‘6a,.’ below; to check, change or cancel an appointment, press 2 (go to ‘6g.’ below).
To make a new booking
6a. For the first available appointment at any time, press 1.
6b. For the first available morning appointment, press 2.
6c. For the first available afternoon appointment, press 3.
6d. For an appointment with any male GP, press 4 (you will then be given a further menu for their first available appointment (press 1), their first available morning appointment (press 2) or their first available afternoon appointment (press 3).
6e. For an appointment with any female GP, press 5 (you will then be given the same further menu for female GPs as ‘6d.’).
6f. For an appointment with a specific GP, press 6 (you will then be given a further menu for all the GPs as follows:
- For Dr. Cadwallader press 1;
- For Dr. Sanyal press 2;
- For Dr. Akintomide press 3;
- For Dr. Oshungbohun press 4;
- For Dr. Storrow press 5;
- For Dr. Chatterjee press 6;
- For Dr. Pritchard press 7;
- For Dr. Massey press 8;
- For Dr. Hughes press 9;
- For Dr. Karir press 10;
- For Dr. Zurub press 11;
- For Dr. Marston press 12;
- For Dr. Hickson press 13;
- For Dr. Staveley press 14;
- For Dr. Cain press 15;
- For Dr. Wearn press 16;
(You will then be given the same further menu for a specific GP as ‘6d.’))
To check, change or cancel an existing appointment
6g. The system will say details (who the appointment is with, the date and the time) of any existing appointments that you have booked starting with the most recent – if you have more than one appointment booked, to go to the next appointment, press 1 or if you only have one appointment or when you have gone to the appointment you are looking to cancel or change:
6h. To cancel the appointment, please press 3 and the message ‘cancellation successful’ will be played.
6i. To change the appointment, please press 4 – the system will then take you back to ‘6a.’ allowing you to find a more convenient appointment – once you have booked a more convenient appointment using the above ‘6a. to 6f.’ process, this will replace your existing appointment and the message ‘booking changed successfully’ will be played.
This system has been thoroughly tested by the providers and by the practice, however if you experience any problems or have any questions as to how the system works, please contact the surgery and ask to speak to our Reception Manager.
*This system operates within the constraints of our current telephone system, if all of the telephone lines are in use by other patients, you will still get an engaged tone.